Completed Projects

The following projects are fully restored and rehabilitated historic properties through The L’Enfant Trust’s Historic Properties Redevelopment Program. Scroll below to see the transformation of these properties from formerly distressed housing stock to quality, moderate-income housing in Southeast DC.

1648 U Street Front

1648 U Street, SE

Anacostia Historic District
Built 1908

1648 U Street, SE is a contributing building in DC’s Historic Anacostia District. The single-family dwelling was built in 1908 by J.E. Webster and architect A.L. Fuss for $4,500. The property’s most notable resident was John Edge, a Weather Bureau employee, veteran of the Spanish-American War, the Boxer Rebellion in China and the Philippine Insurrection. He received the Purple Heart for his efforts in the Philippines in 1899. Through the 1970s, veterans were given special preference to rent the property.

The rear half of the property was demolished in 2016 and was reconstructed by The L’Enfant Trust. The house retains its original bracketed cornice and siding.

The property also holds a full array of solar panels on its flat roof. The incorporation of solar panels on 1648 U Street is an example of how contemporary energy-efficiency inventions can be aligned with historic properties.

Architectural Ceramics logo
M&M Appliance
Logo of window restoration company
SC Interiors logo
Logo
Logo of Community Forklift
Image of rehabilitated historic property

1326 Valley Place, SE

Anacostia Historic District
Built 1885

1326 Valley Place, SE is one of a row of five homes, built on speculation in 1885 by Henry A. Griswold, president of the Anacostia and Potomac River Railway and Uniontown developer. Griswold, friend and associate of Frederick Douglass, was responsible for the first streetcar to transport Washingtonians from the District to Anacostia. The Cottage-style house was built for the working-class individuals of Anacostia. Its earliest known occupants were a Navy Yard carpenter, a railroad stenographer, and two teachers. The dwelling retains much of its original siding and architectural detail along the front gable roof.

The rear half of the house was demolished in 2011 and was reconstructed by The L’Enfant Trust. In addition to scrolling through the images below, you can also watch the timelapse video below to see the house transformed.

Architectural Ceramics logo
M& M appliance logo
Logo of window restoration company
SC Interiors logo
Logo of Community Forklift
1518 W Street for sale image

1518 W Street, SE

Anacostia Historic District
Built 1890

Built by H.A. Linger, President of the Anacostia Building Association. The Anacostia Building Association, along with other developers in the area, built many modest, low-scale houses for the District’s burgeoning working-class residents, many of whom were employed across the river in the Navy Yard. One of the home’s earliest residents was Alfred Kaufman, a prominent builder in Southeast Washington. Like its neighbors, 1518 W Street, SE is a single-family, wood frame, Queen Anne home with scalloped shingles in the gable, bracketed eaves under the roof, and a hipped roof front porch.

The house retains its original wood siding and fish scale shingles, as well as the restoration of four original windows, which were fitted with custom storm windows.

Architectural Ceramics logo
Allied Window, Inc.
M&M Appliance
SC Interiors logo
Logo of Community Forklift
Logo of restoration company
Jeld Wen Windows & Doors logo
Historic property exterior

2010 14th Street, SE

Anacostia Historic District
Built 1912

2010 14th Street, SE is a two-story, Cottage style house built in 1912 and located on the restored Old Market House Square in the Anacostia Historic District.

The wood frame house retains elements of the original front porch and spindle work and the original ventilator at the center of the gable.

This property was vacant for many years and in severe disrepair prior to the full rehabilitation by The L’Enfant Trust’s Historic Properties Redevelopment Program.

Architectural Ceramics logo
Ikea logo
Second Chance logo
Tech Painting Co. logo
Universal Floors logo
Ferguson logo
Long Fence logo
Sherwin Williams logo
Exterior of restored historic home

1347 Maple View Place, SE

Anacostia Historic District
Built 1887

 

1347 Maple View Place, SE was a long vacant, two-story, Queen-Anne style house in the Anacostia Historic District on the verge of demolition by neglect. Built between 1887 and 1894, 1347 Maple View Place, SE stands at the top of the street with a direct view of the United States Capitol.

The wood frame house features a cross-gable roof with an exaggerated overhanging eave that creates a covered front porch. Other distinct features of the house are the original, reeded, drop siding, decorative window dressings, front bay window and louvered ventilator.

Architectural Ceramics logo
Ferguson logo
Ikea logo
Long Fence logo
Sherwin Williams logo
Tech Painting Co. logo
Smoot logo
Whole Foods logo
Second Chance logo
Enviroshake logo
Universal Floors logo

STAY CONNECTED

bottom_social_facebookbottom_social_twitterThe L'Enfant Trust Instagram Accountbottom_social_email